LAST UPDATED: August 18, 2018
Postmates Inc. (“Postmates” or “we”) operates a platform to facilitate on-demand delivery of goods in our cities through our applications and websites (the “Postmates Platform”). We have developed an application programming interface (the “Postmates API” or “API”) and other technical documentation and materials (the “API Materials”) to allow you to develop your own websites or applications that can be used with the Postmates API to fulfill deliveries for your own services and products (the “Partner Service” or “your Service”). Postmates is not a retail store, restaurant, food delivery platform, merchandise delivery platform or food preparation entity.
In consideration of the mutual promises, covenants and agreements contained herein, and other good and valuable consideration, the receipt, sufficiency and adequacy of which are hereby acknowledged, the Parties, intending to be legally bound, agree to the foregoing and as follows:
2. API LICENSE.
- API License from Postmates. Subject to these API Terms, Postmates hereby grants you a limited, revocable, non-exclusive, sub-licensable and transferable license to access and use the Postmates API in accordance with the API Materials and to use the API Materials, in each case, solely for the purposes of: (i) developing and testing your Service for use with the Postmates API; (ii) obtaining data made available by Postmates through the Postmates API (“Postmates Data”) for use by you in accordance with this Agreement; and (iii) providing data to Postmates through the API (“Partner Data” and together with Postmates Data, “Data”) for use by Postmates in accordance with this Agreement. You may only sublicense or transfer access and use of the Postmates API, and any applicable credentials or passwords to reputable third party software developers for the sole purpose of facilitating your use of the Postmates API (“Authorized Third Party”). You are solely responsible for the use and integration of the Postmates API, credentials and passwords by any Authorized Third Party. You are solely responsible for an Authorized Third Party’s use and/or misuse of the Postmates API pursuant to these API Terms.
- License Restrictions. You will not and will not allow any of your directors, officers, employees, agents, contractors, Authorized Third Party or any other person (collectively, “Personnel”) to: (i) reverse engineer, disassemble, decompile or otherwise attempt to derive the source code or the underlying ideas, algorithms, structure or organization of the Postmates API or any Postmates Platform, or any part of any of the foregoing; (ii) sublicense, transfer, distribute or otherwise make available the Postmates API or any API Materials or Postmates Platform, or any part of any of the foregoing, in any form; (iii) lease, loan or sell the Postmates API or any API Materials or the Postmates Platform, or any part of the foregoing; (iv) create derivative works of or otherwise modify the Postmates API or any API Materials or Postmates Platform, or any part of any of the foregoing; (v) make any copies of the Postmates API or any API Materials, or any part of any of the foregoing, in any form; (vi) attempt to defeat, avoid, bypass, remove, deactivate or otherwise circumvent any software protection mechanisms in the Postmates API or any Postmates Platform, including without limitation, any such mechanism used to restrict or control the functionality of any of the foregoing; or (vii) remove or alter any legal, copyright, trademark, watermark, or other proprietary rights notice contained in or on Postmates Platform.
- Rate Limits/Restrictions. There may be rate limits and/or restrictions to the data fields displayed per application or service utilizing the Postmates API implemented by Postmates from time to time of which you may (but need not) be notified. If such limits or restrictions are implemented, you agree that you shall comply with such limits and restrictions, as applicable, at all times. Any rate limits and/or restrictions implemented are subject to change from time to time at Postmates’ sole discretion, effective immediately upon posting. Your use of any methods intended to subvert rate limiting that may be implemented (including maintaining a cache of data) is a violation of these API Terms.
- Reservation of Rights. Postmates does not grant you any rights in or to the Postmates API, API Materials, or Postmates Platform except as expressly set forth in Section 2(a) above, and as between the Parties, Postmates owns and retains ownership of the Postmates API, API Materials, and Postmates Platform, including any and all rights under patent law, copyright law, trade secret law, trademark law and any and all other proprietary rights (“Intellectual Property Rights”).
- Postmates Data. Subject to these API Terms, Postmates hereby grants you a non-exclusive, revocable, non-sublicensable and non-transferable worldwide right to use the Postmates Data solely as necessary to fulfil customer orders.
- Reservation of Rights. As between Postmates and you, Postmates retains the sole and exclusive title in and to all Postmates Data, and you retain the sole and exclusive title in and to all Partner Data.
- Data Protection.
- Postmates will not use the Partner Data for any purposes other than as expressly permitted in Section 3(a). You will not use the Postmates Data for any purposes other than as expressly permitted in Section (3)(b). Except as expressly set forth in this Section 3, each Party shall not disclose, transfer, sell, rent, or lease any of the other Party’s Data, without the other Party’s express written consent.
- When you collect data from or regarding individuals or their devices, and such data constitutes part of the Partner Data (“User Data”), you shall obtain each applicable individual’s prior permission for the collection of the User Data, as well as the use and sharing of such User Data pursuant to the provisions of this Agreement.
- You shall implement reasonable security measures to safeguard the Postmates’ Data.
- Each Party reserves the right to require the other Party to delete the first Party’s Data if the other Party violates the API Terms.
4. PARTIES’ OBLIGATIONS.
- We reserve the right to determine whether or not your use of the Postmates API, Postmates Platform, Postmates API Materials or Postmates Data is acceptable, and to immediately revoke your access to the Postmates API at our sole discretion.
- Partner Obligations. You agree to perform the obligations as set forth in the Partner Policies and Rules of Conduct, which is incorporated into these API Terms, and which may be updated from time to time at Postmates’ sole discretion.
- Use Restriction. The following are some, but not all, restrictions applicable to the use of the Postmates API, Postmates Platform, Postmates API Materials and Postmates Data.
- You may not use the Postmates API, Postmates API Materials, Postmates Data for any other purpose other than providing the services for which you are registered to provide as a Postmates API Developer.
- You will at all times use the Postmates API, Postmates Platform or Postmates API Materials in accordance with federal or state laws and regulations applicable to the manner in which you conduct your business and with the Postmates Terms of Service, and you may not use the Postmates API or Postmates API Materials to conduct or facilitate, in any way, activity that is in violation of applicable laws or regulations or the Postmates Terms of Service. Without limiting the foregoing, you will at all times use the Postmates API, Postmates Platform or Postmates API Materials in accordance with state and federal telemarketing laws, including the federal Telephone Consumer Protection Act. You understand and acknowledge that, to the extent you use the Postmates API to facilitate the transmission of text messages or phone communications, Postmates does not control the timing, content, or recipients of such communications.
- You may not use the API, Postmates Platform or Postmates Data in any manner that is competitive to Postmates or the Postmates Platform, including in connection with any application, website or other product or service that also includes, features, endorses, or otherwise supports in any way a third party that provides services competitive to Postmates’ products and services, in Postmates’ sole discretion.
- You may not include or use the Postmates API, Postmates Platform or Postmates Materials in, or in connection with, any application, website or other product or service that includes content that is defamatory, libelous, hateful, violent, obscene, pornographic, unlawful, or otherwise offensive, in Postmates sole discretion.
- Mutual Obligations. Each Party agrees:
- Not to perform any action with the intent of introducing to the other Party’s systems, products or services any viruses, worms, defects, Trojan horses, malware or any items of a destructive nature.
- Not to defame, abuse, harass, stalk or threaten others or promote or facilitate unlawful online gambling or disruptive commercial messages or advertisements in connection with its performance of the API Terms.
- To conduct business in a manner that does not reflect negatively on the other Party and its products and services.
- Not to make any statement that suggests partnership with, sponsorship by or endorsement by the other Party without the other Party’s prior written approval.
- Not to use web scraping, web harvesting, or web data extraction methods to extract data from the other Party.
- Postmates may elect to provide you with support or modifications for the Postmates API (collectively, "Support"), in its sole discretion, and may terminate such Support at any time without notice to you. Postmates may change, suspend, or discontinue any aspect of the Postmates API at any time, including the availability of any Postmates API. Your continued use of the Postmates API following a change or subsequent release will be deemed your acceptance of such modifications. Postmates may also impose limits on certain features and services or restrict your access to parts or all of the Postmates API, the Postmates API Materials, or the Services without notice or liability.
5. RIGHTS AND OWNERSHIP.
- Use of Postmates Marks. The rights granted in these API Terms do not include any general right to use the Postmates name or any Postmates trademarks, service marks or logos (the “Postmates Marks”) with respect to your website or application. Subject to your continued compliance with these API Terms, we agree that you may use Postmates Marks for certain limited purposes related to your use of the Postmates API or Postmates API Materials. These rights apply on a non-exclusive, non-transferable, worldwide, royalty-free basis, without any right to sub-license, and may be revoked by Postmates at any time. If Postmates updates any Postmates Marks that you are using, you agree to update such Postmates Marks to reflect the most current versions. You must not use any Postmates Marks, or any confusingly similar mark, as the name or part of the name of your Service, or as part of any logo or branding for your Service.
- Promoting Your Service. You may not use any Postmates Marks in any advertising, promotional or marketing materials for your Service, provided that you may use the name "Postmates” in a written description of your Service in order to describe the fact that your Service connects to the Postmates Services using the Postmates API. You must not use the Postmates name in any way that takes unfair advantage of our goodwill or reputation in the Postmates Marks, and you must not make any suggestion, directly or indirectly, that your Service is an official Postmates app or is endorsed by Postmates in any way.
- Press and Publicity. You may not issue any press release or other announcement regarding your Service that makes any reference to Postmates (except as permitted in the "Promoting Your Service" paragraph above) without our prior written consent.
- Independent Development. You understand that Postmates may currently or in the future develop products and services that may be similar to or compete with your Service. Nothing in these API Terms shall in any way restrict Postmates from pursuing any business activities or from entering into any agreement with any other person or company.
- Feedback. In the event that you choose to provide Postmates with feedback, suggestions or comments regarding the Postmates API, the Postmates API Materials, or your use thereof, you agree that Postmates will be free to use, copy, modify, create derivative works, distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, grant sublicenses to, and otherwise exploit in any manner such feedback, suggestions or comments, for any and all purposes, with no obligation of any kind to you.
- License to Postmates. You hereby grant to Postmates a paid-up, royalty-free, non-exclusive, worldwide, transferable, sublicenseable, right and license, under all your intellectual property rights, for Postmates’ marketing and promotional purposes to: (a) use, perform, make available, display to the public, reproduce, distribute, and import your integration of the Postmates API and (b) use your name, likeness, or brand (which includes all your trademarks, service marks, logos, brand names, or trade names) (“Your Marks”) to the extent it is incorporated into your integration of the Postmates API. Following the termination of these API Terms and upon written request from you, Postmates shall make commercially reasonable efforts, as determined in its sole discretion, to remove references to your integration of the Postmates API and any of Your Marks from the Postmates website.
6. FEES AND PAYMENT.
- Fees and Payment Terms. You will pay Postmates fees for the Postmates Platform in accordance with API Pricing Policy, which is incorporated into these API Terms, and which may be updated from time to time at Postmates’ sole discretion. You authorize Postmates to charge all Postmates fees to the designated payment method associated with your account.
- Taxes. You will be responsible for and to pay, or to reimburse Postmates on written request, if Postmates is required to pay or collect, any sales, use, VAT, excise, export or other tax, duty or other charge of any kind or nature (excluding any tax that is based on Postmates’ net income) that is levied or imposed by any governmental authority on the use of the Postmates Service or any portion thereof.
7. CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION.
“Confidential Information” shall mean any information relating to or disclosed in connection with the API Terms and the use of the Postmates API, which is or should be reasonably understood to be confidential or proprietary to Postmates, including, but not limited to, technical processes and formulas, source code, product designs, sales, cost and other unpublished financial information, product and business plans, projections, and marketing data.
- Non-Use and Non-Disclosure. You agree that, unless Postmates gives its prior written authorization, you shall: (a) not use the Confidential Information for any other purpose other than for use of the Postmates API and Postmates Service; or (b) not disclose any such Confidential Information to any person or entity except your directors, officers, employees and contractors who are required to have such Confidential Information in order to implement and use the Postmates API and Postmates Service and who are bound by confidentiality obligations protecting the Confidential Information similar to the provisions hereof.
- Maintenance of Confidentiality. You shall prevent the unauthorized access, use, disclosure, dissemination or publication of the Confidential Information with the same degree of care that you use to protect your own confidential information of a similar nature, but no less than a reasonable degree of care. You agree to notify Postmates in writing of any misuse or misappropriation of the Confidential Information which may come to your attention.
- Compelled Disclosure. If you become legally obligated to disclose Confidential Information by any governmental entity with jurisdiction over it, to the extent permitted by law, youshall give Postmates prompt written notice of such obligations sufficient to allow Postmates the opportunity to pursue its legal and equitable remedies (including but not limited to making an application for a protective order) regarding such potential disclosure. You agree to: (a) assert the confidential nature of such Confidential Information to the governmental entities; (b) disclose only such Confidential Information as is required to be disclosed by law; (c) use its commercially reasonable efforts to obtain confidential treatment for any such Confidential Information that is so disclosed; and (d) provide reasonable assistance to Postmates in protecting such disclosure.
- Return of Materials. All documents and other tangible objects containing or representing Confidential Information that have been disclosed by Postmates, and all copies or extracts thereof or notes derived therefrom that are in your possession, shall be and remain the property of Postmates and shall be promptly returned to Postmates or destroyed (with proof of such destruction), each upon Postmates written request.
8. TERM AND TERMINATION.
You may terminate these API Terms at any time by ceasing all use of the Postmates API and API Materials and deleting all copies of the Postmates API Materials (including all Postmates Data) in your possession or control.
We may immediately revoke your use of the Postmates API without notice if your use violates any of these API Terms or if we otherwise object to your use of the Postmates API. We may also terminate any rights granted hereunder, or may add or remove functionalities or features of the Postmates API, at any time and for any reason at our discretion. The rights granted hereunder terminate automatically if (i) you violate any term of the API Terms, (ii) Postmates publicly posts a written notice of termination on its website, (iii) Postmates sends a written or e-mail notice of termination to you, or (iv) Postmates ceases providing access to the Postmates API to you. We will not be liable to you or any third party for any costs or damages as a result of termination of this Agreement. Any sections of this Agreement, which expressly or by their nature, extend beyond the termination or expiration of this Agreement, shall survive any termination or expiration of this Agreement.
- Partner Indemnity. You shall indemnify, defend, and hold harmless Postmates, its subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, directors and employees (“Postmates Indemnified Parties”), individually and collectively, from and against all taxes, losses, damages, claims, suits, liabilities, costs and expenses, including reasonable attorneys’ fees and other legal costs, (“Claims”) brought against the Postmates Indemnified Parties by a third party arising from or in connection with: (i) use of the Postmates API, API Materials, Postmates Data or Postmates Platform by you, your employees, agents, contractors or Authorized Third Party; (ii) breach or alleged breach of any of the terms, conditions, obligations and representations under these API Terms by you, your employees, agents, contractors or Authorized Third Party; (iii) your Service; (iv) failure by you, your employees, agents or contractors to comply with any laws, rules or regulations applicable to your Service; (v) gross negligence or willful misconduct by you, your employees, agents, contractors or Authorized Third Party; (vi) any claim that your Service, including any application or website, or any part thereof, infringes any third party Intellectual Property Rights; (v) any claim that Authorized Third Party has infringed any third party Intellectual Property Rights. You shall pay any settlement amounts agreed by you or damages finally awarded to such third party in such Claims.
- Procedure. If Postmates is seeking indemnification, it will promptly notify Partner of the Claim for which it seeks indemnity and will cooperate with Partner in defending the Claim; provided, however, that failure to provide prompt notice will not excuse the indemnifying party’s obligations under this Section 9, unless the delay materially prejudices Partner’s ability to defend the Claim. Partner will have full control and authority over the defense of an indemnified Claim, except that: (a) Partner must not agree to a settlement that imposes any obligation or liability (other than the payment of monetary damages for which indemnity is provided pursuant to this Section 9) on, or that requires an admission of guilt or wrongdoing by, Postmates; and (b) Postmates may participate in the defense at its own expense with counsel of its choice.
THE POSTMATES API, API MATERIALS, POSTMATES DATA AND POSTMATES SERVICE, ALONG WITH OTHER MATERIALS PROVIDED BY POSTMATES IN CONNECTION WITH THIS AGREEMENT ARE PROVIDED ON AN “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE” BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND AND POSTMATES, ON BEHALF OF ITSELF, ITS SUPPLIERS, AND CONTRACTORS, DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES AND CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS, IMPLIED OR STATUTORY, OR OTHERWISE, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT AND ANY WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS ARISING OUT OF COURSE OF DEALING OR USAGE OF TRADE. POSTMATES DOES NOT GUARANTEE THAT THE POSTMATES API, POSTMATES API MATERIALS, POSTMATES DATA OR POSTMATES SERVICES WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS OR THAT THE USE THEREOF WILL BE ERROR-FREE, UNINTERRUPTED, VIRUS-FREE, OR SECURE.
POSTMATES WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE OF GOODS RELATED TO YOUR USE OF THE POSTMATES SERVICE OR POSTMATES API.
11. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY.
POSTMATES’ AGGREGATE LIABILITY TO PARTNER, OR ANY OF THE AFFILIATES OF PARTNER, IN CONNECTION WITH OR ARISING FROM THIS AGREEMENT SHALL NOT EXCEED ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS ($100), REGARDLESS OF THE THEORY UPON WHICH SUCH LIABILITY IS BASED, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, TORT, EQUITY OR OTHERWISE.
- Entire Agreement. This Agreement, including all rules, policies and procedures incorporated herein by reference, constitutes the entire legal agreement between the Parties with respect to the Postmates Service.
- Drafting.No ambiguity will be construed against Postmates based upon a claim that Postmates drafted the ambiguous language.
- Severability. If any provision of this agreement is found by a court of competent jurisdiction to be invalid or unenforceable, then that provision will be removed from this agreement without affecting the rest of this agreement. The remaining provisions of this agreement will continue to be valid and enforceable.
- No Waiver. The waiver by either Party of any breach of this agreement does not waive any other breach. The failure of any Party to insist on strict performance of any covenant or obligation under this agreement will not be a waiver of such Party’s right to demand strict compliance in the future, nor will the same be construed as a novation of this agreement.
- Independent Contractors. The relationship of the Parties established by the Agreement is that of independent contractors, and nothing contained in this Agreement should be construed to create a partnership, joint venture, or employer-employee relationship, or give either party the power to act as an agent or direct or control the day-to-day activities of the other. Each party will be responsible for its own costs of conducting business and performing its obligations under the Agreement.
- Assignability. This agreement may not be delegated, assigned or transferred, in whole or in part, by you without prior written approval of Postmates. Postmates may assign or otherwise transfer this agreement in connection with a reorganization, consolidation, change of control, merger, acquisition or sale of substantially all of its assets that relate to this agreement. Any assignment in violation of the foregoing shall be null and void.
- Governing Law; Venue. This agreement, and all the rights and duties of the Parties arising from or relating in any way to the subject matter of this agreement or the transaction(s) contemplated by it, will be governed by, construed and enforced in accordance with the law of the State of California, without regard to any conflict of laws provisions that would refer to and apply the substantive laws of another jurisdiction. Any suit or proceeding relating to this agreement will be brought only in the state courts located in San Francisco County or federal courts located in the Northern District of California. Each of the Parties consent to the exclusive personal jurisdiction and venue of such courts.
- Force Majeure. A Party shall not be liable for any failure of or delay in the performance of this agreement for the period that such failure or delay is due to causes beyond its reasonable control, including but not limited to acts of God, war, strikes or labor disputes, embargoes, government orders or any other force majeure event.